Hello again travel fans. Following on from my last blog, we’re moving north from Sydney to Cairns in north Queensland.
Catching a flight from Sydney to Cairns is relatively cheap and is only a 3 hour flight. I would recommend booking your accommodation in Cairns city so you’re nice and central.
As one of Australia’s biggest tourist towns and the gateway to the Great Barrier Reef, Cairns is certainly a vibrant place with plenty of cafes, restaurants and bars to keep you happy. Whilst a visit to Cairns is generally about getting yourself out to the Great Barrier Reef, the surrounding area and nearby rain forest are certainly worth exploring.
Our top 5 things to do in Cairns
- Day trip to the Great Barrier Reef – as I mentioned above the main reason for a visit to this part of Australia is to experience this true wonder of the world. At over 2,300km long the Great Barrier Reef consists of 900 islands and 2,900 individual reefs. It is the world’s largest coral reef and the largest living structure on the planet. Whether you go for a full scuba dive or just snorkel on the surface, this is one of the only places in the world that I have been to that I tell people that they MUST DO!!
- Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park – this is a great, down to earth way that the local people share their culture. Enjoy dancing shows and learn about the didgeridoo, learn to make a fire with sticks, learn about bush medicine and food, and get the chance to throw boomerangs and spears.
- White Water Rafting – if you are a bit of an adrenaline junky then head down to the Tully River. Experience the magnificent landscape of the World Heritage Rainforest while navigating the white water rapids of this mighty river.
- Relax at the Cairns lagoon – in the north you get really hot summers but you can’t swim in the sea as they’re full of jelly fish (the kind that can seriously harm you, even kill you). Luckily the man-made Cairns lagoon gives you crystal waters, beach views and a cool place to relax.
- Take a sky dive! – OK so this one definitely isn’t for everybody but why not. A skydive over Cairns is guaranteed to be an unforgettable lifetime experience! The Cairns drop zone offers spectacular views of the Great Barrier Reef, The World Heritage Rainforest and Trinity Inlet. If you are ever going to do it, I doubt there is a better place to do it.
Whatever you choose to do out there, enjoy it!
Thanks for reading, until next time keep searching for YOUR Best Destination….